Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Joint Exploratory Committee

Dear Colleagues,

I’ve just returned to L.A. from our Annual Meeting in Denver. I’m very pleased and privileged to have been given another opportunity to be the next President-Elect of APsaA. Over the next several months I hope to connect with all of you on our listserves and directly by phone. My aim is for us to share our ideas about how to best serve our profession and our organization.

For now I’d like to tell you that the constructive and positive tone that began at the Winter Meeting has continued. An important agreement was for the establishment of a joint exploratory committee to look into the possibility of externalizing some of the educational functions of our Association. This would represent a major change which would require a great deal of statesmanship and in depth discussion. If it is to succeed we will need to develop widespread “grass roots” support. I would look forward to this task and I think my considerable organizational background in APsaA has prepared me for this. I have always been for greater freedom for our institutes regarding the training of candidates, including the eligibility of members for appointment as TAs. There are a significant number of our institutes that argued passionately for greater flexibility and innovation in psychoanalytic education.

I will support efforts to assure fairness, flexibility and choice in our educational models preferably within ApsaA and if that can not be achieved then through a process of externalization.

Warren R. Procci

No comments: